Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Victorian Rose Mini Cake

I have a really special friend, Carole. I met her a few years ago helping out at our local food pantry that she and her husband, Don, organized and ran for like 20 years. They are such servants...always laboring to meet people's physical and spiritual needs. Even though Carole's life has been complicated with advanced MS she never stops reaching out and doing what she can. She rests in her bed and prays for all of the families that take part in the food pantry. She prays for her family. She prays for my family! I am constantly humbled by her perseverance and her Godly attitude.

Well, this week was Carole's birthday. I knew that a cake was a must. I really had no idea what I was going to make. Delicate, feminine, and flowers. I thought about the old "LOVE" stamps with the roses, maybe they still have them, I don't know. And I love making antique doilies and lace appliques, so I thought I'd do a combo and see how it came out.



I chose a very pale green fondant, just enough to tie in the leaves but without having a "green" cake. I rolled out the extra fondant and just started cutting and veining and pressing and layering. Over and over and over again... I added a gumpaste rose and bud, that I had finished earlier, on top and seriously it looked like a Victorian postcard! I am really pleased with how it turned out. Very unique but, delicate, feminine and it had flowers.


You can see the layers of fondant a bit closer here. I was fairly systematic about my placement. As I was working on all the elements I kept thinking about how I would do it differently next time. I think I might draw out a design with all the layers and get everything the way I like it. Then I'd systematically repeat it around the cake. That's not to say that I wouldn't make adjustments but just to have an idea of how I want it layered. It wasn't really difficult except that if I had thought ahead I would have been able to tuck certain layers under for a more integrated effect.Once completely assembled I washed the entire cake in antique white shimmer powder. It really fills in the details and gives the cake a bit on "old glamour".

Carole, (and Don) I hope you enjoyed your special day! Thank you for being an inspiration to me and such a blessing to my family. We love you dearly!! Happy Birthday!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment