Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Icing Smiles Inc.



I am so excited to be a part of Icing Smiles, a volunteer cake designing group whose goal is to brighten children's days. Who knew there was such a thing! I thoroughly enjoy it. I have been asked to share my experience and encourage others to become involved.

Here is an excerpt from the Icing Smiles site, http://www.icingsmiles.org/:

"Icing Smiles is a non profit organization that provides custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by critical illness of a child.  We understand that the simple things, like a birthday cake, are luxuries to a family battling illness.  Our goal is to create a custom cake for the ill child or their sibling that will provide a temporary escape from worry and create a positive memory during a difficult time."


Last week a little boy, Brody, was having a double party with his older brother, Gavin. All Brody wanted was a Rex-from-Toy-Story cake. And Gavin wanted Brody to be happy, and maybe something with Corvettes.

I found out about this cake on Tuesday. It needed to be finished by Saturday morning so we could deliver it the a small town several hours from here. From conceptualization to delivery, that is very fast work for just one person. Especially me, when I usually draw things out several weeks in advance to get organized and mentally prepared. There were lots of late nights, well just two to be exact, and very long days. My sweet husband was my right hand man. He kept me going when I thought I wasn't going to meet the deadline. Needless to say house was not as clean as it could have been...


Here is what we ended up with...a Toy Story themed gift bag with a sheriff badge tag. Rex coming out of the top surrounded by tissue paper. A "toy-story-ish" sign on the wood floor base with Brody and Gavin's names. Two sugar Corvettes, just for fun!

My whole family packed up on Saturday morning. (We needed both my husband and myself to carry the cake and we couldn't really leave the kids at home.) What a trip! I was in the back with the cake. Kids and Scott were in the middle and front, all a bit on edge about getting this cake through construction and over potholes. But we all made it is one piece. And so did the cake!



But the time and effort payed off when I see Brody driving the edible Corvettes around the base of the cake. He smashed them into each other creating a sweet accident site just before he crammed them into his mouth...Typical boy! The Corvettes were made by Scott. He is a master silicone mold maker and whipped up a Corvette mold for me at the last minute. He formed these cars just in time for me to detail them and get them on the cake!

Rex was a hit, hopefully he will be remembered for a while. Most of all I hope that we were able to let God's love pour out of us to encourage those that we met. What an awesome way for our family to spend a Saturday!

Gavin and Brody with Caleb and me (and a party guest!)
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful cake and story. Thank you for all you do for Icing Smiles!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome story! We are still waiting to hear from Icing Smiles and can't wait to bless someone special with a cake :) Excellent job on the cake too! I'd love to learn more from the "master molder" LOL

    Take care and God bless,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing cake! Thank you, from the mom of a special needs child, for making these boys such a fantastic cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww, what a wonderful story! And what a wonderful and amazing cake=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Amazing cake! I hope to one day be at your level of decorating. I too just finished a cake for Icing Smiles, what a great feeling!!!

    ReplyDelete