Sunday, May 6, 2012

Happy Nesting!

So...real life has an amazing way of taking over your life, doesn't it? I hate to say it but I have had to actually turn down cakes this spring because I had more important things in real life going on! The most ironic part of life recently is that some of our family members were diagnosed with over a dozen food allergies, including eggs, all dairy, yeast, soy, wheat! Since these are crucial cake and real life ingredients I had to do some major rethinking in the baking and cooking department. We went back to basic survival skills...gathering berries and eating nuts, but I am proud to say that I now have some pretty good allergy-free recipes down!

I was thrilled when I felt settled enough in our new normal to finally accept a cake order! One of my favorite clients ordered a baby shower cake for a friend. I call it "Happy Nesting"...


We went with a blossoming branch topped with a Momma bird and egg snuggled down in their nest. I had made the bird white with pale pink and brown accents but the top needed more weight. I decided to go darker with slightly iridescent hues to bring out a delicate elegance.  The pink pearl-y egg is lightly speckled, perfect for a spring baby girl. A small wooden plaque with a curled piece of paper reads, "Happy Nesting".


A few small feathers peak out from between the nesting material. I love adding these "soft" elements to birds nests, which are especially cozy for a baby shower. And, of course, I had to add some flowers around the nest and the base of the cake.

I love flowers and birds...and branches, too...and I love the way this all came together. It was a relaxing and refreshing way to return to my cake life! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment