Sunday, October 23, 2011

Balinese Box of Orchids

I love working on cakes! And this one just made me smile. This cake was made for my Mom as a birthday surprise. Orchids are her favorite and she spent many years in Indonesia, so I thought I would tuck gumpaste orchids and leaves in a unique Bali-style box on a bamboo base. 


The box itself has "hand-carved" floral details on all sides, and the lid bares a traditional design of a Bird of Paradise bird. The bamboo base was done on a whim, but I love the rustic feel it brings to the more elegant box and orchids. I love how the greens compliment the dark wood of the box and the base.



There was actually cake inside this box: chocolate cake filled with hazelnut buttercream. 


I love little details like the metal accents on this box. I inset little floral medallions on each side and and placed a small handle on the lid. It did not pivot when lifted like some hoped...I am not that crazy! Set into the carved top was a little metal-looking plate that read "Worth far more than Rubies-Prov. 31". This Biblical passage describes how the Godly character of a women is worth so much more than any treasure or beauty. Mom, you have a beautiful heart! Happy Birthday!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment